HOMES FOR THE
THIS WEB SITE IS ONLY IN AN EARLY STAGE OF DEVELOPMENT
Anti-science and the history of Climate Denial
- CFCs and the Ozone Layer: xxxxxx The theory behind this privilege is that lawyers must be free to maintain client confidences so as to give confidential defence advice when their clients are charged. However those engaged in lobbying make no distinction between post facto defence advice, and outright conspiring with clients to help them break the law.
- Vietnam War and Agent Orange controversy: The specialist PR company, E. Bruce Harrison, was set up by Harrison and his wife specifically to counter the popularity of Rachel Carsons, following the success of her book Silent Spring. It briefly merged with another PR company, and was then swallowed up by Hill & Knowlton — which was itself merged into the global giant, WPP (run by Martin Sorrel and his CEO Hamish Maxwell, the ex-Chairman of Philip Morris)
- The Institute of Public Affairs (IPA) in Melbourne, Victoria. This was the tobacco industry's favourite Australian think-tank which doubled as a commercial lobby-shop. It works extensively for tobacco and other polluting industries on a range or projects including active climate denial.
- The Junk Science movement — Steve Milloy and TASSC
- SEPP, Singer and Bonner Cohen
- Fred Seitz and the Oregon Appeal
- Heidelberg appeal (ICSE (International Center for a Scientific Ecology — aka Centre International pour une Ecologie Scientifique or CIES) Michel Salomon became director in 1992)
The Oregon Petition was a project run by tobacco lobbyist and Rockefeller University administrator Fred Seitz. It is not certain who paid for this, but it would have had some contribution by the tobacco industry simply because it attacked the credibility of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) which at that time was threatening to label second-hand smoke a "known carcinogen".
The later Heidelberg Appeal was definitely funded and promoted by the tobacco industry in alliance with the energy and chemical industries.
The convenor of the Plateau Group is: Stewart Fist, 70 Middle Harbour Road, Lindfield NSW 2070, Australia.